A new method for the removal of safety pins ingested by children


Turkyilmaz Z. , Karabulut R. , Sonmez K. , Basaklar A. C. , Kale N.

ANNALS ACADEMY OF MEDICINE SINGAPORE, cilt.36, sa.3, ss.206-207, 2007 (SCI İndekslerine Giren Dergi) identifier identifier identifier

  • Yayın Türü: Makale / Tam Makale
  • Cilt numarası: 36 Konu: 3
  • Basım Tarihi: 2007
  • Dergi Adı: ANNALS ACADEMY OF MEDICINE SINGAPORE
  • Sayfa Sayıları: ss.206-207

Özet

Introduction: Foreign body ingestion is a common problem in children. Safety pin ingestion is common in Turkey. We describe a new method of removal for safety pins in our 2 cases. Clinical Picture: A 9-month-old girl and a 6-month-old boy had each ingested a safety pin. Abdominal Xrays detected the safety pins in their stomachs. At the end of 3 months, the foreign bodies still remained in their stomachs and laparotomy was indicated. Treatment and Outcome: This technique consists of a limited midline upper laparotomy with vertical incision. Without the utilisation of a gastrotomy, an orogastric tube was inserted into the stomach and the open end of the safety pin was pinned to the tube from outside the stomach. The orogastric tube was gently pulled out to remove the safety pin. Conclusion: This method provides shorter hospitalisation time and fewer complications.