PRESENTATION AND ROLE OF PERITONEOSCOPY IN THE DIAGNOSIS OF TUBERCULOUS PERITONITIS


SANDIKCI M., COLAKOGLU S., ERGUN Y., ÜNAL S., AKKIZ H., SANDIKCI S., ...More

JOURNAL OF GASTROENTEROLOGY AND HEPATOLOGY, vol.7, no.3, pp.298-301, 1992 (Journal Indexed in SCI) identifier identifier identifier

  • Publication Type: Article / Article
  • Volume: 7 Issue: 3
  • Publication Date: 1992
  • Doi Number: 10.1111/j.1440-1746.1992.tb00984.x
  • Title of Journal : JOURNAL OF GASTROENTEROLOGY AND HEPATOLOGY
  • Page Numbers: pp.298-301

Abstract

This study represents the clinical and laboratory features of 135 tuberculous peritonitis cases in whom peritoneoscopic investigation was used routinely. Disease was more common in women than men (1.5:1) and was most frequently encountered in the third and fourth decades in life. The most common presenting symptoms were abdominal distension (96%), abdominal pain (82%), weight loss (80%), weakness (76%), loss of appetite (73%) and fever (69%). The most common physical findings were ascites (96%), fever (75%) and abdominal tenderness (43%). One hundred and twenty-nine cases (95.5%) showed exudative type tuberculous peritonitis with variable amounts of ascites and filmy adhesions. In six patients (4.5%) the disease was of the plastic (dry) type. Peritoneoscopic investigations of 139 patients suggested tuberculous peritonitis but four cases showed histologically proven malignancy (3%). Laparoscopic diagnoses of the remaining cases were confirmed by histology (97%). The laparoscopic appearance of scattered yellowish-white nodules, approximately 1-5 mm in size, on the peritoneal surfaces, and filmy adhesions were suggestive of tuberculous peritonitis. A non-fatal colon perforation occurred as a major complication. After antituberculous therapy patients were followed for at least 1 year. Peritoneoscopy with simultaneous biopsy is the ideal and most accurate diagnostic modality in the diagnosis of tuberculous peritonitis.