UFT plus Oral Folinic Acid with Alternating Oral and Intravenous Vinorelbine in Patients with Metastatic Breast Cancer Previously Treated with Anthracyclines and Taxanes

Coskun U., Kaya A. O. , Alkis N., Buyukberber S., Alici S., Celenkoglu G., ...More

ONKOLOGIE, vol.32, no.10, pp.562-566, 2009 (Peer-Reviewed Journal) identifier identifier identifier

  • Publication Type: Article / Article
  • Volume: 32 Issue: 10
  • Publication Date: 2009
  • Doi Number: 10.1159/000232314
  • Journal Name: ONKOLOGIE
  • Journal Indexes: Science Citation Index Expanded, Scopus
  • Page Numbers: pp.562-566


Background: We retrospectively evaluated the activity and toxicity of uracil/tegafur (UFT) plus oral folinic acid in combination with vinorelbine (alternating intravenous (IV) on day 1 and oral on day 8) in patients with metastatic breast cancer. Patients and Methods: Treatment consisted of IV vinorelbine 25 mg/m(2) on day 1 and 60 mg/m(2) orally on day 8, and oral UFT 300 mg/m(2) plus leucovorin 60 mg/m(2) on days 1-14 with 21 days interval. All patients were refractory to anthracyclines and taxanes. Results: Partial response (PR) was observed in 3 (9.7%) and stable disease (SD) was observed in 13 (41.9%) patients. Total clinical benefit (PR + SD) of the combination was 51.6%. The median response duration was 3 (range 1-11.8) months. Median overall survival was 9.8 months (95% confidence interval (CI): 7.5-12.1), and median time to progression was 3.4 months (95% CI: 2.3-4.5). The most common toxicities were hematologic, including 4 (12.9%) cases of grade 3 neutropenia and 4 (12.9%) cases of grade 4 neutropenia. Grade 3 diarrhea was reported in 2 (3.2%) patients. 3 (9.7%) patients had hand-foot syndrome. Febrile neutropenia was observed in 1 patient. Conclusions: Although the combination is safe and convenient in clinical practice, it has only moderate activity in metastatic breast cancer patients.