Retrospective Analysis of Laparoscopically Treated Cases of Tubo-Ovarian Abscess


ONAN M. A. , Taskiran C., KARABACAK R. O. , Acar A., Korucuoglu U., Tiras M. B.

TURKIYE KLINIKLERI TIP BILIMLERI DERGISI, vol.29, no.4, pp.872-876, 2009 (Journal Indexed in SCI) identifier identifier

  • Publication Type: Article / Article
  • Volume: 29 Issue: 4
  • Publication Date: 2009
  • Title of Journal : TURKIYE KLINIKLERI TIP BILIMLERI DERGISI
  • Page Numbers: pp.872-876

Abstract

Objective: To analyze retrospectively laparoscopically treated cases of tubo-ovarian abscess (TOA). Material and Methods: This study is a retrospective analysis of cases treated for TOA via laparoscopy in a tertiary university care center between 1991 and 2004. By using preoperative findings (presence of acute abdomen, mass at the pelvic examination and ultrasonographic findings), patients were diagnosed. Laparoscopic findings were used as gold standard for the final diagnosis of TOA and to verify preoperative findings. Results: Overall, 12 of 18 (67%) TOA cases were treated solely via laparoscopy without complication or recurrence. The remaining 6 TOA cases (33%) were converted to laparotomy and treated successfully. Over the same study period, we had 230 cases undergoing laparoscopy with preoperative diagnosis of adnexial mass without signs and symptoms of infection but 2 of them had end diagnosis and treatment of TOA. Conclusions: Laparoscopy is an effective treatment modality along with antibiotics in TOA in different stages of the disease. The studied cases proved us TOA is an inflammatory process that can be noticed during laparoscopy within a wide range from acute purulent disease to silent cystic healed formation.